OpenSim Movella(Xsens) Dot IMU IK Heading Orientation

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Hayden Sidey-Phillips

OpenSim Movella(Xsens) Dot IMU IK Heading Orientation

Post by Hayden Sidey-Phillips » Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:31 pm

Hi Team,

I've been running into an issue working with IMU orientation data from Movella (Xsens) Dot IMUs that I can't seem to solve.

The orientation of some of the IMU data appears to be rotated by ~45deg about the vertical (y) axis in the OpenSim coordinate system. Specifically the three IMUs attached to the right leg.

I can't seem to find any documentation detailing how to or whether it is possible to reorient IMUs during or after the model calibration process. Has anyone encountered this problem, or does anyone know how to solve this issue?

For reference, I am currently using Movella(Xsens)'s sensor fusion algorithm and Soroosh Bagheri's online tool to convert the data from the export .csv format to the .sto orientation file before importing it into OpenSim.

I have attached a screenshot of the the placement of the virtual IMUs in OpenSim. You can click here to see the issue when running the simulation in OpenSim:https://www.dropbox.com/s/fcmwjvbdbwy2h ... M.mov?dl=0

If you have any issues with the links and I will do my best to fix them ASAP

Please let me know if you have any tips or ideas that might be able to help me solve the issue, I appreciate any help you have!

Cheers,
Hayden
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 1.22.20 PM.png
Image of Virtual IMU Offset
Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 1.22.20 PM.png (722.58 KiB) Viewed 452 times

Tags:

Carlo Carraro

Re: OpenSim Movella(Xsens) Dot IMU IK Heading Orientation

Post by Carlo Carraro » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:40 am

Hi,
I'm facing a similar issue with my project. I would like to know if you managed to solve the Xsens rotation problem that you had, and in case how did you solve it?

Thank you so much.