Assistance Request for Using OpenSim in EMG and FES Simulation

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Tiago Franco

Assistance Request for Using OpenSim in EMG and FES Simulation

Post by Tiago Franco » Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:47 am

My name is Tiago Franco, and I am a doctoral student at the University of Minho, currently working on a research project involving the development of a device that utilizes EMG sensors to enhance FES stimulation in the quadriceps muscles with a specific focus on the vastus medialis. I was recently introduced to the OpenSim software and its capabilities in biomechanical simulation. I am interested in utilizing it to simulate knee extension motion with a model where we collect EMG data and apply FES stimulation.

I come from a computer science background, and while I have programming experience, I am not well-versed in biomechanical concepts. I am currently in the process of learning about these concepts and would like to seek your assistance in understanding how I can reproduce a specific simulation model using OpenSim, preferably with Python programming.

My primary questions and requests are as follows:

Can existing models extract EMG data for knee extension motion in Python?
Can existing models apply FES stimulation to the quadriceps and replicate muscular responses in Python?
Does anyone have a Jupyter notebook that can apply FES and simulate an EMG signal?
What must be programmed in the software interface, and what can be accomplished using Python?

I appreciate your attention and assistance in advance. I am excited to explore the possibilities offered by OpenSim in my research project and hope that you can guide me on this journey. Your help will be invaluable to my progress.

Sincerely,
Tiago Franco
PhD Student and Researcher at CeDRI

Tags:

Mohammadreza Rezaie

Re: Assistance Request for Using OpenSim in EMG and FES Simulation

Post by Mohammadreza Rezaie » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:13 pm

Hi, just wanted to say that you can find several projects about EMG/FES on the SimTK via the search box, e.g.: https://simtk.org/search/search.php?src ... earch=soft