Importing 3D Cad files and inverse dynamics

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Paulius Stasiulaitis

Importing 3D Cad files and inverse dynamics

Post by Paulius Stasiulaitis » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:30 pm

Hello,
I'm interesting can I simulate inverse analysis with OpenSim. I want to import bicycle ( 3D model in *.stp, *.iges, or *.sat or similar )and simulate how change muscles from pedaling rate. I used to make similar simulation in LifeMOD, but it's not free software and couldn't complete my research of bicycle pedaling, because I finished my academic school, now I want to continue my research by myself and looking the posibility of simulation.
best regards,
Paulius S.

Ayman Habib

RE: Importing 3D Cad files and inverse dynamics

Post by Ayman Habib » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:25 am

Hi Paulius,

There should be no problem getting the geometry into OpenSim as stl files. Creating a model (defining bodies, joints, coordinates etc.) is possible too but a little more time consuming. After that simulation should be pretty straightforward.

It would be great if other users on the forum interested in bike pedaling simulation can share a model that you can use as a starting point, as a service to the user community, or maybe you can start a project on simtk.org for this purpose and collaborate with other users on creating such a model.

Good luck,
-Ayman

Paulius Stasiulaitis

RE: Importing 3D Cad files and inverse dynamics

Post by Paulius Stasiulaitis » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:52 am

Thank You Ayman for the answer,
I just started learning to use OpenSim, at this moment I like it very much, could You tell me how import geometry to OpenSim both possibilities *.stl files and full geometrie for example *.step files.
At this moment I not feel so strong that start new project, but in future would be great or I'll found existing project.
The last question how create in OpenSim full body model until this moment I use models which are made in OpenSim instal directory, but I haven't found full body model.
best wishes,
Paulius