Models will not reopen after editing markers and saving

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Anthony Ligouri

Models will not reopen after editing markers and saving

Post by Anthony Ligouri » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:17 am

Hello everyone,

I have some full body models that were created in v2.4. I have been able to open these models in v3.0 and scale them successfully. However, when I look at my marker error and make the proper adjustments to the virtual markers and save the model, the next attempt at scaling gets stuck. If I cancel the scaling process, close the model and open it again, it does not load properly. The message window says, "Loaded model 'name' from file 'path' ", and the name of the model appears in the Navigator window, but nothing is displayed in the viewer, and the model in the navigator is not bolded. I can not right click on it to choose any options, nor can I choose to scale the model or do anything with it.

If I try to open the same model in 2.4, I get an OpenSim Model Loading error saying "Could not construct a model from 'path' " The error details say "XMLNode.GetDbl: ERROR-failed to interpret value of min_control as a double" and the message window gives a warning loading a file from a more recent version of OpenSim.

My main concern is that models I edit in 3.0 will not reopen in 3.0 after I edit and save them. Does anyone know what is going wrong or how to fix this?

Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Anthony

Ayman Habib

Re: Models will not reopen after editing markers and saving

Post by Ayman Habib » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:13 am

Hi Anthony,

Please attach the modified model here or on a separate bug report and we'll investigate. I wouldn't expect models saved in 3.0 to be readable in version 2.4 as the reading/writing tools have been upgraded and do not write files that are backward compatible with the parsers in version 2.4.

Best regards,
-Ayman

Anthony Ligouri

Post by Anthony Ligouri » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:56 am

Hi Ayman,

Thank you so much for your help. I have attached both the edited and saved model that will not open, and the original model that I started with. I'm not sure if I made this clear, but the model that will not open is NOT a new model that had been scaled by the scale tool and created in OpenSim3.0. The model that I am having trouble with is a generic model which I have edited the virtual marker positions to improve the scaling error and then saved, after which, it will not open correctly.

If you would also like to see all the other files used by the scale tool, just let me know and I will attach them.

Again, I really appreciate the help.

Anthoy

PS: I had to save the .osim files as XML because the attach file tool here will not upload .osim files
Attachments
Generic model.xml
original generic model
(607.22 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
Tony_saved.xml
edited and saved file that will not open
(660.15 KiB) Downloaded 82 times

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:51 am

Hi Anthony,

I had no problem opening your model in version 3.0. I noticed some changes to marker_names between the two models but nothing looks wrong in the model that doesn't open for you as far as I can tell.

Maybe you can file a bug report and attach all the files and steps to reproduce the issue, or you can try version 3.0.1 available in beta version to see if the problem reproduces.

Best regards,
-Ayman

Anthony Ligouri

Post by Anthony Ligouri » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:28 am

It must be a computer problem on my end then. When you said they loaded without any trouble, I tried loading them from an external hard drive where the files were copied, and they loaded in 3.0 and 3.0.1 just fine. They still will not load from the C: drive properly, but for what reason is beyond me.

Thanks for taking the time to check that out. If the problem becomes more serious in the future I will file a bug report.

Anthony