Help with prosthetics in OpenSim

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Vishal R

Help with prosthetics in OpenSim

Post by Vishal R » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:11 am

Hi,

I am working on the contribution of muscles in amputees performing different locomotive tasks. I have a query with regard to attaching the transfemoral prosthetic device to the lower limb musculoskeletal model and I would really appreciate it if you help me out, please.

I have been working on OpenSim in order to simulate transfemoral amputees activity, however, I am not successful to attach the lower limb prosthetic device with the musculoskeletal model to simulate activity of daily livings (level ground walking/stair ascending/descending etc). In addition, it was observed from one of the videos in youtube by Christian Silva (link below) that it seems possible. I would like to know if this is the way that it must be implemented. Is there any guidelines or tips in this regard.

link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpgNlv-hmeA

Sincerely,
Vishal

jimmy d

Re: Help with prosthetics in OpenSim

Post by jimmy d » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:29 pm

You could just replace the geometry of the foot and femur with your prosthetic geometry. You would have to also change the mass and inertia properties. All the muscles that connect to the femur and foot would also have to be removed.

Cheers,
-james

Vahidreza Jafari

Re: Help with prosthetics in OpenSim

Post by Vahidreza Jafari » Wed May 04, 2016 10:39 pm

jimmy wrote:You could just replace the geometry of the foot and femur with your prosthetic geometry. You would have to also change the mass and inertia properties. All the muscles that connect to the femur and foot would also have to be removed.

Cheers,
-james
Hello,
When I attached the parts of the prosthesis and loaded a motion into the model, it starts to walk like a stiff knee patient. What's the problem? I changed the mass and moment of inertia of the prosthesis as well. Also, some muscles have been removed.

Looking forward to hearing good from you.

Kind Regards,
Vahid