Adding New Markers to a .trc

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Aaron Godfrey

Adding New Markers to a .trc

Post by Aaron Godfrey » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:44 pm

I have a program I'm using to compare marker position over time, but I need to add some virtual markers to it to complete my analysis. This might be a dumb question, but is there anyway to re-calculate the trace with virtual markers and export those results? There's plenty of options for saving .mots and whatnot, but I haven't found a way to do traces - I don't want joint angles, I want marker positions. I feel like I'm missing something obvious...
Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Thomas Uchida

Re: Adding New Markers to a .trc

Post by Thomas Uchida » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:10 pm

Not sure what you mean by "trace", but the IK Tool can output marker trajectories over time; see viewtopicPhpbb.php?f=91&t=8311.

Aaron Godfrey

Post by Aaron Godfrey » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:41 am

I was referring to a .trc file, which is what I use to run IK.

The tool option you pointed out might work, though. Thanks!

Aaron Godfrey

Post by Aaron Godfrey » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:33 am

Having looked into this a little more, it isn't the solution I was looking for. While it does put out an STO of marker locations, it does not put out the location of the virtual markers (i.e., markers that I add to the model prior to running IK, that are tied to various bodies - for example, I'm adding a new marker at the elbow and attaching it to the humerus). Is there a way I can get the output of the marker motion for that new marker?

Thomas Uchida

Post by Thomas Uchida » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:56 am

it does not put out the location of the virtual markers (i.e., markers that I add to the model prior to running IK, that are tied to various bodies - for example, I'm adding a new marker at the elbow and attaching it to the humerus). Is there a way I can get the output of the marker motion for that new marker?
I haven't dug into the code, but perhaps the Tool reports only the markers that are being tracked (i.e., on which the objective function depends). If so, a quick fix might be to add columns for the virtual markers in your TRC file (with junk trajectories) and set their tracking weights to zero.

Aaron Godfrey

Post by Aaron Godfrey » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:16 am

That did it. Thanks again!

Thomas Uchida

Post by Thomas Uchida » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:57 pm

Great; thanks for reporting back. You might also want to investigate the scripting interface (https://simtk-confluence.stanford.edu:8 ... /Scripting), which would be a more elegant and flexible approach.