Graphics card does not support WebGL

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Vitaly Kheyfets

Graphics card does not support WebGL

Post by Vitaly Kheyfets » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:10 am

Hello,

For some reason, OpenSim says that my graphics card does not support WebGL.

I have the NVIDIA Quadro M2200, which says that it includes WebGL. I also just downloaded the latest drivers and rebooted, but the problem persists.

Please let me know if there is something else I could try.

Thank You,

Vitaly

Ayman Habib

Re: Graphics card does not support WebGL

Post by Ayman Habib » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:47 am

Hi Vitaly,

The visualization package we use in OpenSim 4.0 is based on WebGL and as such requires the graphics card to support it. We had a few instances where running OpenSim, it reports missing WebGL support. These machines fall into a few categories:
1. Machines with old graphics cards that do not fully support the standard.
2. Machines with 2 graphics cards (one integrated/embedded and the other dedicated). In these cases you need to tell your machine to use the dedicated graphics (details are very much machine/manufacturer dependent).
3. Machines with capable graphics cards that the library mis-identifies or cannot detect.

I suggest you lookup if your graphics card has the latest drivers, and is enabled by default, and is certified as supporting WebGL, if that all holds we can investigate Option 3 above (that the library is more strict than necessary). You may find it helpful to try to open the webpage (https://threejs.org/examples/#webgl_animation_cloth) and see if it displays on your machine since it uses the same library (though a more recent version).

Please let us know what you find out.
Best regards,
-Ayman

Eduardo Tavares

Post by Eduardo Tavares » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:18 pm

Hi Aman,
I have exactly the same issue. My machine is an i3 with Windows 7 and a ATI Fire card, but I can run WebGL on any browser, including the website you mention on your answer to Vitaly. I wonder if there's a way to run OpenSim forcing it to not test for the graphics card? I know there are a lot of cards in the market, but if I could bypass that test, I'm sure it would work.

Eduardo Tavares

Post by Eduardo Tavares » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:23 pm

Update on my previous question

I don't really know if anyone from the project will ever see this, but I'm really puzzled about how Opensim decides the graphics card cannot run WebGL (as it says). I have my card installed with the latest drive for Windows 7. I tried all the animations at threejs.org, as suggested by Ayman, and they all run flawlwess, with great texture, on Edge and Chrome. The thing that puzzles me most is I took a look at OpenSim code and it seems to me you guys are using simbody-visualizer to render the models, so I tried running it directly from the command line, and it runs. If I disable my ATI FireGL card and use the on board card, then simbody-visualizer complains about not being able to run on that "ancient" system. So everything seems fine, I run all kinds of 3D stuff, from Solidworks to games, DirectX or OpenGL and the only thing not working right now is OpenSim. Am I missing anything here? Is Opensim really that demanding or is it a bug on the code identification of cards?
I attached a screenshot that shows simbody-visualizer running and the result from OpenGL Extensions Viewer, showing the OpenGL 2.1 (does OpenSim need 3+?)
Any help would be pretty much appreciated.
Attachments
screen.png
screen.png (472.29 KiB) Viewed 350 times