Collaborators Meeting

Date: April 23, 2018

Time: 6:30 PM US/Eastern

Means: Skype


  1. Jason Halloran (CSU)
  2. Carl Imhauser (HSS)
  3. Shady Elmasry, PhD (HSS)
  4. Peter Laz (DU)
  5. Kevin Shelburne (DU)
  6. Ahmet Erdemir (CC)


  1. Finalization of model development phase planning.
  2. Manuscript on knee modeling workflows.
  3. Review of action items from past meetings.
  4. Progress report.
  5. Potential ORS workshop submission.
  6. Outreach summary.
  7. Other.

Immediate Action Items:


  1. Ahmet described the model development phase going over the wiki page. He emphasized the terms "modeling and simulation outputs" and "modeling and simulation processes". He discussed the earmarked data and asked for clarification on probing data from University of Denver group. Kevin noted that the probing data are also available in raw form where bone points and ligament insertion/origin points are in the same Optotrak coordinate system but not registered to surfaces from segmentation. Per Ahmet's request, Kevin will send him the raw probing data. Ahmet will compile earmarked data and upload to the project site. All teams should go over the model development page and inform Ahmet if they need clarification.
  2. Jason noted that the lists of knee models he received has been variable. He still intends to keep the final list for examination of processes short. He reminded that the original request has focused on natural knee, i.e. the tibiofemoral joint and possibly including the patellofemoral joint. He asked Denver group if they would submit one or two lists. He also asked Pete if he has any other models to add. Pete will follow up with Jason. Jason intends to create an online spreadsheet or form to populate based on reporting considerations. Each group will have 2 to 3 manuscripts to examine. Each manuscript will get a couple reviews.
  3. Ahmet went over action items from the previous meeting. All have been addressed. He also mentioned that he and Jason had a good discussion with Tina during IMAG/MSM meeting on her role in the project.
  4. Ahmet mentioned the due date of progress report as May 15, 2018. He will take care of it. If anyone has any specific project outcomes that they would like to mention, they should send the information to Ahmet.
  5. In a previous e-mail communication, Carl had mentioned the possibility to submit a workshop proposal for ORS 2019. Carl summarized the opportunity and emphasized that a workshop on reproducibility may follow this year's keynote speaker well. It can be focused on our project or the manuscript that Jason has been working on. Each group may have a talk. Pete mentioned that for the workshop proposal the value to clinical community should be clear. He noted that the submission form have different categories and asks for significance, purpose, educational needs and learning outcome levels. The group discussed that the workshop may combine themes of reproducibility, science, personalized medicine and how translation of these models and model predictions will rely on reproducibility and the opportunity to have common standards. It may be possible to have our project presented along with presentations from European groups, regulatory side, industry, etc. to understand what the expectations of industry/scientists/clinician/regulators are and what we can do. The workshop will be 75-90 minutes; the conference will be during February 2018 in Austin, TX. Carl is happy to take a shot at drafting the proposal. He will attempt to frame the broad level scope and get other teams feedback before finalizing.What the community want? What do we do? provide answers to all these needs.

2018-04-23 (last edited 2018-04-25 14:46:44 by aerdemir)