Recurring Meeting of Cleveland Clinic Core Team

Date: October 15, 2013

Time: 10:30 AM EST

Means: In person meeting


  1. Ahmet Erdemir
  2. Jason Halloran
  3. Craig Bennetts
  4. Snehal Chokhandre
  5. Robb Colbrunn
  6. Akhil Reddy


  1. Review assigned tasks
  2. Discuss specifications development progress
  3. Action items for following week
  4. Other

Immediate Action Items:

See notes for details.


  1. Review assigned tasks
    • All the assigned tasks were discussed and progress was reviewed.
    • All discussions were carried out along with conversations on specifications development (see below).
  2. Discuss specifications development progress
    • Relevant to all specifications, a flowchart of order of operations will be added to specifications main page.
    • Specimen specifications:
      • Snehal started updating the relevant page. Number of specimens and inclusion criteria was included.
      • Specimens will be requested to include from hip to ankle.
      • Ahmet suggested adding more specimens (a low priority but can be added to the data set if resources permit).
      • Jason suggested NDRI might be another source for acquiring knees and will be contacting the NDRI representative.
      • Evaluation of specimens before and during procedures was discussed. Potential problems for acquisition of ostearthritic specimens were noted. If needed knees can be obtained from the surgical skills lab at Cleveland Clinic and will be screened for existing osteoarthritis. Or, defects can be created artificially if diseased specimens are not obtained.
      • Alternatives, potential bottlenecks, etc. will be included in the specifications page.
      • Version and numbering of specimens were discussed. Specimen gender, age, etc. will not be included in the numbering. Specimens will be numbered as 001, 002, etc.
      • Ahmet suggested adding sub sample description for tissue testing.
      • Specimen specifications are 50% complete will be completed by next meeting and specimens will be ordered.
    • Imaging specifications:
      • Jason, Craig and Snehal met to discuss the specifications.
      • MRI specifications from previous studies will be built upon.
      • The brass registration market set up was observed to add noise/ artifact to the imaging data. For now, the previously used spherical markers will be used for registration. If issues with the patella registration phantom are not resolved, some other material might be considered for markers.
      • Jason and Ahmet will meet Chris on October 28th to discuss the specifications and requirements further.
      • The page will be updated with all the available information and improved after the meeting.
    • Robotics testing specifications:
      • The task team met to discuss the requirements.
      • Ahmet provided an outline and comments for information organization. Conditions refer to testing scenarios, measurements refer to what needs be obtained by following the specifications.
      • File naming and specimen naming conventions need to be decided.
      • A pulling test at different flexion angles to get ligament in situ strain related information might be added to the tibiofemoral joint testing protocol conditions (can be added as secondary conditions).
      • To avoid issues related with inverting the specimen in the testing set up, tibiofemoral and patellofemoral joint tests will be performed separately (registration will be redone).
      • If necessary, specimen dissection information will be added to a specimen preparation page.
      • Tekscan specifications will be added to robotics testing and infrastructure.
    • FEBio feature request:
      • Jason and Ahmet met and discussed the feature requests to FEBio that directly relate to Open Knee(s). A list of requests based on priority was created by Jason and details will be populated in the coming days.
      • Test problems and estimated completion dates will need to be outlined.
    • Tissue testing specifications:
      • Tara and Snehal met and discussed the tissue testing details.
      • Some samples will be tested again (pilot) to overcome the limitations of previous data sets.
      • Primary and secondary sample locations will be identified.
      • Primary samples will be tested as a priority.
      • One sample from each tissue will be set as a priority to build required constitutive model.
      • Zonal, regional, etc. data will be included as secondary information.
      • Primary samples: ACL, PCL, MCL, LCL, menisci, medial and lateral femoral and tibial cartilage, patellar cartilage, cartilage in femoral groove, capsule, patellar ligament, quadriceps tendon, MPFL (secondary)
      • Secondary samples will be prepared along with the primary samples and frozen for later use.
      • Additional stress relaxation stages will be incorporated. A slower strain rate (ramp loading) and shorter relaxation durations may be used. This might reduce the overall test time.
    • Test workflow for cloud computing prototype
      • Craig and Ahmet met to discuss the features of the requested computing gateway (to be developed by the Stanford group).
      • Repository will contain different models and users can use a configuration file, which can apply different parameters to the model and run simulations.
      • The interface should allow selection of model, uploading a configuration file and submit it for computing and provide the means to download results.
      • Simple models and simulations, such as compression of a regional model of cartilage, can be used to develop the gateway.
      • Craig will write down the specifications.
  3. Action items for following week
    • Team members will continue to update the tasks based on assigned priority end dates.
  4. Other
    • Ahmet added a documentation task for FEBio summary and mechanical experimentation infrastructure.
    • Equipment and resources including website links will be added to a relevant infrastructure related page.
    • Ahmet updated the grant information. The grant is available for public viewing and includes the data sharing and software sharing plans.
    • An Advisory Board meeting may be scheduled for the end of October.

RecurringMeetings/2013-10-15 (last edited 2016-05-04 22:09:52 by localhost)