Recurring Meeting of Cleveland Clinic Core Team

Date: January 21, 2014

Time: 10:30 AM EST

Means: In person meeting


  1. Ahmet Erdemir
  2. Jason Halloran
  3. Craig Bennetts
  4. Robb Colbrunn
  5. Tara Bonner


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
  2. Discuss progress of all other tasks.
  3. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
  4. Other.

Immediate Action Items:


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
    • Jason discussed e-mail communications with Tekscan, Inc. They are currently unresponsive and this issue needs to be resolved. Alternatives for pressure measurements will be explored, including foregoing pressure measurements all together. Another e-mail will be sent and/or a call will be made to Tekscan, Inc. in an attempt to resolve this issue. All team members will explore alternatives to pressure measurement, whether that is another approach to physically measure pressure or estimation of it from kinematics measurement. Ahmet discussed measuring patellofemoral kinematics using a spatial linkage. If we can minimize registration and kinematics measurement errors we can estimate pressure distribution using simulation alone. As an another alternative, Ahmet mentioned talking with Barry Kuban (Director of the Electronics Core at the Cleveland Clinic) about resistive pressure measurements and the possibility to build a system. Sensor Products Inc. may also be explored though the physical range of their sensors appear to be quite low. A custom solution may be possible. They will be contacted if necessary.
    • Jason also covered planning on the imaging test sessions with the imaging facilities at the University Hospitals. A test session will be setup for next week and the image coordinate alignment issues will be discussed with Chris Flask. Transportation device needs to be tested before the imaging session. Monday and Wednesday (all day), Thursday (morning), Friday (afternoon) are open for Ahmet. Craig has class on Tuesday and Thursday mornings until 10:30 AM.
    • Tara noted that another specimen was acquired; specifically from an elderly, healthy, female donor. A request form was sent to acquire the young specimens, male or female.
    • Tara updated the specimen preparation page to reflect the decision that the specimens will be tested in an intact state. Tara and Robb will prepare a WCB 2014 abstract that helps to justify why the specimens will be tested in an intact state. This document will uploaded to the wiki.
    • Ahmet added a number of notes/questions for Tara to address regarding tissue sample preparation. To clarify this section, Tara will update some of these descriptions with pictures from previous testing.
    • The update to the infrastructure page on tissue testing device remains as an immediate action item for Robb.
    • Regarding the order of tissue testing device from BioMomentum Inc., Ahmet stated that Izzy Delgado-Dembie (of the Department of Biomedical Engineering) is following on the internal ordering process. Due to the price, the order needs multiple levels of approval. Ahmet will continue to facilitate this process.

    • Imaging specifications were discussed. Craig updated the targeted outcomes on this page and added organization to the current protocol section. An aside, the infrastructure on imaging also needs to be updated. The specifications for the protocol will be changed to a sequential “recipe” in order to accomplish imaging as if it is the day of testing. The notes will contain the details to justify the adoption of specific imaging protocols. Description of data transfer from the imaging facility will be added as well as what physically happens to the specimen immediately after imaging. The specimen orientation in the MRI was discussed and for convenience it will be oriented to follow clinically relevant planes: superior is up, medial to the midline, etc. For imaging specifications, a link to the OAI study should be added as these protocols provide the basis for the sequences that are being tested.
    • Ahmet added a header to the joint experimentation wiki page to instruct the general community on how to review/contribute to this specification. A discussion page was added, a forum entry was created and an email contact was provided. The “Documents” section in the main project web site also includes links to specific wiki pages to facilitate public feedback on these issues.
    • The multimedia/marketing leadership team (Ahmet, Jason, Robb) met last week to discuss generation of content for visibility of this project (as well as their respective groups). A part-time student from Case Western Reserve University will likely take on some of the associated tasks, including preparation of a database/repository of multimedia content.
    • Ahmet and Jason prepared the FEBio feature request for element sets, node sets, and surface definitions. Input and output capabilities for each set were included and summarized on the appropriate page. A figure was created by Jason to reflect the desired features and will be discussed with the University of Utah group in the upcoming conference call.
    • Tara and Robb will prepare an abstract for WCB 2014 to be reviewed/discussed by additional authors using previous testing results that have both “intact” and “cleaned” conditions. The abstract will likely include only one specimen, the one that most closely matched in terms of kinetics (using an error metric) between the two states. All three available specimens will be analyzed to verify this is the case.
    • Previous meeting notes were discussed.
      • It appears the relevant items were discussed and/or addressed through the specimen preparation page. This should be reviewed by all team members. Notes/questions will be added to clarify desired areas.
      • Registration issues for the Optotrak system were briefly discussed. The new engineer intern in the BioRobotics group is currently troubleshooting the source(s) of error. The group will be updated about the progress.

      • Craig summarized last week's conference call with the group at Stanford University. Stanford University team has created a mock-up of the cloud computing interface that was previously specified by the Cleveland Clinic team. A protocol for communication was outlined for the workflow related to job submission, running and completion (how to inform/communicate with the user). The Stanford University team will be applying to XSEDE for resource allocation and to develop the gateway for this project.
  2. Discuss progress of all other tasks.
    • Robotics testing specifications was marked at 95% complete. Decision on pressure measurements is pending.
    • The tissue testing specifications needs to be filled in. Given the time, Tara will start adding the related information.
    • Imaging specifications are now 80% complete and will be clarified and summarized after the upcoming test session.
    • The Open Knee - Generation 1 manuscript needs to prepared by Ahmet.
    • Imaging infrastructure will be populated.
  3. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
    • Ahmet summarized the Immediate Action Items (see above). The team agreed that the tasks were appropriate.
  4. Other.
    • No other issues were discussed.

RecurringMeetings/2014-01-21 (last edited 2016-05-04 22:09:48 by localhost)