Recurring Meeting of Cleveland Clinic Core Team

Date: March 18, 2014

Time: 10:30 AM EST

Means: In person meeting


  1. Jason Halloran
  2. Craig Bennetts
  3. Snehal Chokhandre
  4. Tara Bonner
  5. Cara Sullivan


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
  2. Update on anatomical imaging.
  3. Evaluation of readiness for mechanical joint testing.
  4. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
  5. Other.

Immediate Action Items:


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
    • Tara updated the group on the robot setup for joint testing.
      • One issue with the robotics testing is related to gravity compensation for measurement of forces and the other is mechanical. Tara will be working on the gravity compensation this week. Mikrolar Inc. engineers are visiting on March 24, 2014 to troubleshoot the system for mechanical issues. These may be software related but this is yet to be determined. Testing will need to be contingent on resolving these issues.
      • Tara is leaving town for three weeks and Robb will be the point of contact to schedule the testing.
    • Snehal provided the initial labeling convention for the wiki.
      • She transferred the information she provided in the last week's meeting to the wiki. The details need to be added reflect the conversation from last week. Essentially, for specimen labeling, the tissue location will be split from the tissue type and the loading type will be removed from the label. That way, the specimen and the test (and resulting data) will be separated and association can be established by sample label.
      • Related, we discussed possible approaches to labeling data such as photos. At the very least, a searchable file structure should allow a user to be directed to all the images. Beyond that, images could be labeled with greater detail (samples, location, associated data, etc.) but this will be decided on as we progress. Snehal summarized her current approach to the team and Craig and Snehal will summarize a potential approach for this type of data. Of note, capturing photos should be an integral part of the protocol. Tara proposed an approach to relate protocol steps with acquired images where a “dummy” picture is taken between each step to delineate the image sets. Snehal's current approach to sample imaging should be documented as it is likely the starting point for this discussion.
    • Snehal also updated the information from the last imaging trial session and summarized our next imaging session for this upcoming Thursday. Details are provided below.
    • Snehal and Ahmet will meet to discuss the tissue testing needs/plan and the associated collaboration with Rami Korhonen's student visit (Elvis Danso).
    • The patella registration marker assembly was received. We need to obtain an image set of the marker in order to relate the divots to the spheres. Dylan performed repeated trials of mounting the marker to the base plug as well as repeated (10 trial) of probing the divots. This should help establish the anticipated error in relating the probed points to the sphere centers. An immediate action item was created to complete this task.
    • Ahmet, Snehal, and Jason met to update the specimen preparation page. An outline was created that reflects the steps as the CoBi Core team understands.

      • Tara was asked to read and verify the steps. Tara generally agreed the workflow looks good though she will take a closer look.
      • First impression is that the thawing time needs to increase, especially for the whole leg. An option is to leave the specimen wrapped and let it thaw for 36 to 48 hours. As she has the most experience, Tara will develop a documented approach to thawing the specimens.
      • The zip tie approach for constraining the tissue, e.g. fibula, during testing should also be documented.
      • Snehal asked about potential changes to the Optotrak setup during testing, i.e. a shift in the world coordinate system as a result of recalibration, and what happens if that is found to be the case. The world system could be re-established and Tara also noted that we might want to probe known points, and maybe the world zero, before and after the testing.
      • Tara and Robb have experience using the quadriceps tendon clamp. For the loads we will be testing, liquid nitrogen should be used to ensure the clamp is securely attached to the tendon.
      • Related, Tara's task list is growing this week and under Tara's direction Dylan may help organize the joint testing prep pages to reflect the current workflow. This also will help train Dylan on the general approach to joint testing.
  2. Update on anatomical imaging.
    • Craig will take another quick look at the DESS and T1 iso (with fat suppression) in order to make sure we can be informed during the next imaging test session.
    • Snehal and Jason will prepare the knee at 9 am on Thursday. If possible, the patella registration marker assembly (printed by MDS) will be mounted on the patella. If the marker assembly and the knee is too large, it will be taped to the specimen in order the evaluate whether the spheres are MRI opaque. Note that the test knee is a particularly large specimen.
    • Image contrast were discussed. This may affect our conclusions about what image settings should be utilized for the testing.
    • An aside, the flowchart for specimen preparation for transport to the imaging facility needs updating (at least the numbering). Ahmet was assigned to this task.
  3. Evaluation of readiness for mechanical joint testing.
    • This general topic was already discussed (see above). To summarize, gravity compensation and the mechanical issue (which may in fact be software related) are the two pending items. The task list in the task manager tool was reviewed. This list will be updated as everything becomes resolved. We'll verify this list during the next meeting with Robb.
    • An immediate action item for Robb and Jason was added to make sure the approach for pressure equilibration and calibration is documented on the wiki.
  4. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
    • Action items were reviewed and agreed upon. See Immediate Action Items above.
  5. Other.
    • None noted.

RecurringMeetings/2014-03-18 (last edited 2016-05-04 22:09:51 by localhost)