Recurring Meeting of Cleveland Clinic Core Team

Date: April 1, 2014

Time: 10:30 AM EST

Means: In person meeting


  1. Ahmet Erdemir
  2. Jason Halloran
  3. Craig Bennetts
  4. Snehal Chokhandre


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
  2. Evaluation of readiness for mechanical joint testing.
  3. Update on data management specifications (including new in-house Midas installation).
  4. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
  5. Other.

Immediate Action Items:


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
    • Craig provided sample images to justify the imaging specifications. He will also add the headers for the example images on specifications page.
    • Ahmet is organizing the imaging specifications page. The top of the page will have the final protocol for the specifications. The notes/discussion will also be organized and/or moved to an alternate page.
    • To summarize the last imaging test session:
      • The MESE images look promising for creation of connective tissue geometry.
      • The T1 image sets, both with and without fat suppression, also look good and we will decide on the image resolution (isotropic versus higher in plane resolution). Images without fat suppression will likely be acquired with the isotropic field of view and with fat suppression will likely be acquired at a higher in plane resolution for cartilage segmentation.
    • Cara will post her suggestions for the possible video clips to the group by the end of the day.
    • Snehal made an illustration for the sample tissue locations (relevant to tissue testing specifications and also discussed below for data management specifications).
  2. Evaluation of readiness for mechanical joint testing.
    • The brakes for the motors on the robot are still being fixed. The date for completion is being determined with the vendor.
    • Robb and Tara have worked on the gravity compensation and the issue was described to be resolved as 70%. There are still some uncertainties in the results. The group agreed that it will be beneficial to see quantitative information to verify the compensation is robust. Ahmet will discuss with Robb this issue as it is paramount to obtain accurate joint reaction forces.
    • Jason will ask Ton about the manual knee loading rig as another alternative option.
    • Jason will ask Dylan about the registration marker geometry. We should also determine centers from the imaging test session for comparison with the CAD produced centers (Craig and/or Jason will take care of this).
  3. Update on data management specifications (including new in-house Midas installation).
    • Snehal iterated the labeling convention to reflect last week's conversation.
    • The tissue types were discussed along with the convention to locate the sample.
    • Unique identifiers should be used for location (no doubling up on the same letter).
    • The meniscus will be identified as "MNS" or "MES" and the quadriceps tendon will be "QDT" or "QAT."
    • For specific tissue locations the team could also use lower case letters, potentially as a fine grain descriptor of the location. This would be in lieu of trying to determine unique identifiers that may not have an anatomical meaning.
    • The Midas platform for data management was discussed. It's performance will be tested with previously collected anatomical imaging and mechanical testing data and using the image sets from the imaging trial sessions.
  4. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
    • Immediate action items were assigned and agreed on by the group.
  5. Other.
    • The specimen preparation needs to be worked on before the testing.
    • Related to readiness for tissue testing, Dylan acquired a heater (for tissue testing bath). It appears to be working for the water bath though the temperature was not even across the bath. One solution may be to circulate water using a pump but this may induce error into the force measurements. Another option may be to use multiple heaters at different locations and allow the bath to stabilize.
    • Ahmet, Elvis, and Snehal need to meet this week about tissue experimentation. Elvis arrives today. Their discussions will focus on sample preparation and infrastructure requirements.
    • Related, the Biomomentum Inc. support team (or person) will be at the Clinic next week to train Snehal and other interested members of the team on use of the tissue testing system.

RecurringMeetings/2014-04-01 (last edited 2016-05-04 22:09:48 by localhost)