Recurring Meeting of Cleveland Clinic Core Team

Date: April 15, 2014

Time: 10:30 AM EST

Means: In person meeting


  1. Ahmet Erdemir
  2. Jason Halloran
  3. Craig Bennetts
  4. Snehal Chokhandre
  5. Robb Colbrunn
  6. Tara Bonner
  7. Cara Sullivan


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
  2. Discuss all pending items from past meetings.
  3. Update on tissue mechanical testing.
  4. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
  5. Other.

Immediate Action Items:

Remaining from previous weeks to be completed within the following two weeks:


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
    • Snehal updated the group on the installation of the Biomomentum Inc. (Mach-1) machine. A new space for the setup was arranged (ND1-06B, first floor near the BioRobotics Core room) and some pilot testing is being arranged. The press for punching samples and the cameras need to be ordered. Training from Biomomentum Inc. was received. The group, in particular Snehal, feels relatively comfortable with the setup.

      • To support tissue testing, a camera-based tissue thickness measurement needs to be worked out. Before purchasing cameras, Snehal will use the SLR camera (from the BioRobotics Core) to evaluate the approach.

      • Current heater fits in the water bath supplied along with the Mach-1 system. The heater may interfere with various fixtures (compression, tension, etc.). Dylan has tested the water bath or consistency and the concern is thermal equilibrium of the bath. The temperature gradients as it heats are measurable throughout the bath (depth and across) and potentially an issue that may require attention. Dylan will complete the testing and will report the results.
    • Robb provided updates in regard to the current state of the robotics joint testing setup.
      • Regarding gravity compensation in robotics testing of the joints, Robb provided a description of the general concept in an attachment to the related infrastructure wiki page. Essentially, force and moment measurements need to account for the movement of the center of mass of the fixture. Ahmet also mentioned “binding” compensation as a separate issue, which may behave differently when the system is loaded versus operating during an unloaded flexion cycle. Robb and Tara will work this out and provide quantitative information to support their approach for compensation of measurements against gravity and binding artifacts.
      • For establishing coordinate systems using probing, the Optotrak digitizing accuracy (2 camera setup) with the “steel cross” probe has been favorable. A series of tests was performed and we now have an idea of the uncertainty in quantifying spatial location using the probe. This information is already uploaded in the wiki on the related infrastructure page. The results also indicate the Optotrak camera calibration should be performed before every test. There appears to be some drift as a function of time.
      • Robb will provide a report of these studies, which includes both the gravity compensation using the dual load cell setup and the accuracy of their Optotrak setup. The robot control and execution repeatability will also be included.
    • Elvis gave a presentation last week in regard to his tissue testing work. Along with his advisor in Finland (Rami Korhonen), Elvis, Ahmet and Snehal are deciding on the exact protocols for these specific tests.
  2. Discuss all pending items from past meetings.
    • Snehal made a list of pending action items.
    • Jason will lead the completion of the specifications for pressure measurement calibration and equilibration.
    • Ahmet will clean up and finalize the imaging specifications page.
    • Robb and Snehal will finalize the design for the testing chamber(s), which may possibly include two chambers to accommodate both tension and compression tests.
    • The measured divots of the patella marker and their relationship with the CAD generated sphere centers along with the MRI determined sphere centers needs to be compared. This will give an indication of potential registration errors and the accuracy of using the divots to determine the sphere centers. Jason will receive data from Robb and Dylan to complete this study.
    • Dylan performed some reorganization of the specimen preparation specifications. Tara will evaluate the organization of this page for the next meeting. Ahmet may provide help for efficiency.
    • For registration the specifications need to be updated and summarized appropriately. This is ongoing and how this fits, and where everything goes, need to be decided. Ahmet and Jason will evaluate and decide on the related approach.
  3. Update on tissue mechanical testing.
    • See discussion above on immediate action from the last meeting.
  4. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
    • The immediate action items mostly encompass items from the previous months, which are targeted to be accomplished over the next two weeks. Next week the team will discuss the progress and update the tasks. See Immediate Action Items above.
  5. Other.
    • Cara has put up information for the promotional video. Cara needs the next steps to follow up on this. A script has been created and the team needs to provide feedback and potential material for this effort. The in-house data management site (Midas Platform) should provide the central repository for this type of data. Robb will upload content that may support creation of the promotional video.
    • For data management, specimen labeling has been decided on and data labeling should be finished. Ahmet will review and release the data management page.
    • Experimentation/TissueMechanics specifications will be updated by Snehal to include the protocols. This is anticipated to happen over the next few weeks.
    • An ACL study is being performed by Dr. Saluan. Ahmet will contact him for the potential to reuse parts of the knees for tissue testing.

RecurringMeetings/2014-04-15 (last edited 2016-05-04 22:09:48 by localhost)