Recurring Meeting of Cleveland Clinic Core Team

Date: April 22, 2014

Time: 10:30 AM EST

Means: In person meeting


  1. Ahmet Erdemir
  2. Jason Halloran
  3. Craig Bennetts
  4. Snehal Chokhandre
  5. Elvis Danso
  6. Robb Colbrunn
  7. Tara Bonner
  8. Cara Sullivan


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
  2. Update on joint mechanical testing.
  3. Update on tissue mechanical testing.
  4. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
  5. Other.

Immediate Action Items:


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
    • Ahmet will finalize the imaging specifications page during the next week. Ahmet sent a spreadsheet to the UH imaging personnel (Shannon Donnola) so that it can be filled in with the relevant image settings. Craig will put the DICOM headers to verify their agreement with the information provided by the UH imaging facility.
    • Regarding the Midas installation, Ahmet created multiple multimedia communities for uploading/downloading relevant content. Members were invited to appropriate communities with read/write access. Specifically, members have "moderator" privileges. Cara will register so that she has access to the content. As of right now, the Java uploader on the Midas site does not work with Firefox. The Java uploader is an interface for large files and for DICOM files to streamline uploading of that type of content. This issue is being worked on by the Lerner Research Institute Computing Core.
    • Ahmet contacted Paul Saluan about utilizing his knee specimens for tissue testing. Robb may have another knee that could be utilized, assuming it is replaced with an equivalent knee. Or, there are a handful of previously tested knees from an ACL resection study. One of these may be appropriate if enough ACL is intact to acquire a tissue specimen.
    • Snehal and Ahmet made a list of items to fix and/or acquire related to the new room before extensive tissue testing can be performed. Items such as the eye wash station, floor cleaning, and tables are included. The administration in the Department of Biomedical Engineering is working on the related items. Snehal will start moving the testing equipment into the room after the floor is cleaned.
    • Snehal made a list of testing accessories (fixtures, clamps, cameras) for tissue testing. The immediate need is a base plate for indention and compression testing. Snehal will put the list up in the infrastructure page related to the tissue testing machine. A taller bath also needs to be manufactured. Robb will setup a meeting with Tony Shawan (Prototype Core manager) to facilitate the manufacturing of these items.
    • Snehal and Elvis will begin to conduct tissue testing trials. The tissue thickness measurement using a digital camera will be evaluated. Snehal's focus over the next couple of weeks will be to complete preparations for tissue testing.
    • Jason updated the group on the pressure calibration procedure. Robb and Jason will sit down and decide on the final calibration approach and summarize the steps on the wiki.
    • Ahmet and Jason discussed the specimen registration page. It was decided that this page will only include creation of the coordinate systems from registration marker (sphere) locations in the MRI and probed by the Optotrak system.
    • Jason will also acquire the data obtained by Dylan for the patella registration marker. Craig will create points clouds for the MRI based spheres. Robb will acquire CAD of the patella registration marker, including the location of the sphere centers with respect to the divots.
    • Tara updated the specimen preparation page based on a conversation between her, Ahmet and Jason. The next step is to meet and discuss the outlined details. This procedure will be presented to the group after Ahmet and Tara discuss.
  2. Update on joint mechanical testing.
    • See notes above for details.
  3. Update on tissue mechanical testing.
    • Snehal will be completing the fixtures (ordering, testing) and setup of the BioMomentum Inc. machine over the next weeks.

  4. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
    • Immediate action items were assigned and agreed upon by the team.
  5. Other.
    • Ahmet met with the Stanford University group. The cloud computing prototype is up and running. A job can be submitted and run, and a compressed results file is generated. The Stanford University group is working on an interface to allow the user download the results file. Another option is to utilize a post-processing script that can be run after the simulation, which saves the desired (and abridged) model results indefinitely. Related, Ahmet summarized the workflow for the cloud computing infrastructure.
    • Ahmet will have Advisory Council meetings (engineers and clinicians) in May. If anyone has questions/issues for either of these groups they should be relayed to Ahmet.
    • Cara asked the group to check the script she wrote for the project/lab video. Cara will attend some of the upcoming testing to get an idea of the type of content to create.

RecurringMeetings/2014-04-22 (last edited 2016-05-04 22:09:52 by localhost)