Recurring Meeting of Cleveland Clinic Core Team

Date: April 29, 2014

Time: 10:30 AM EST

Means: In person meeting


  1. Ahmet Erdemir
  2. Jason Halloran
  3. Craig Bennetts
  4. Snehal Chokhandre
  5. Elvis Danso
  6. Tara Bonner


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
  2. Update on joint mechanical testing.
  3. Update on tissue mechanical testing.
  4. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
  5. Other.

Immediate Action Items:


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
    • Ahmet is waiting on input from Shannon for the imaging specifications.
    • Ahmet edited the data management specifications.
      • A Discussion page, forum entry, and contact information was added to facilitate community feedback.
      • Regarding the protocol, details for the joint, tissue, and data labeling was edited/clarified.
      • Ahmet asked the group to review, especially those involved with management of this content.
      • Details for “Data Labeling”, as the experimentation progresses, should be focused on for efficacy.
      • For data curation and storage, the Midas platform will be utilized. A section for data dissemination was also added to document how and where the data should be shared, using SimTK downloads section in addition to our storage using the in-house Midas platform.
    • Craig provided the DICOM headers from the recent imaging trail sessions. At this point, the final editing and acquisition of imaging parameters from the University Hospitals team are the remaining tasks. Ahmet will complete this.
    • Snehal updated the group on the laboratory setup for the tissue testing machine.
      • The keys for the room need to be picked up. Furniture should be in today. A computer (possibly the Windows based one used by Snehal) will be moved to the room.
      • Snehal made a list of items that should be in the lab; tools, personal protective equipment, etc. Most, if not all, necessary items have been ordered or are in the process.
      • Regarding specific tissue testing accessories, some have already been acquired, and others are in the process of ordering and/or manufacturing.
      • To establish tissue testing needs, Elvis and Snehal dissected an available knee last week. Tissue sample preparation will likely require two days. A base plate is needed for compression. Tension tests, e.g., on an MCL specimen, were performed and some issues were observed. For tension testing, the chamber provided by Biomomentum, Inc. was found to be too short; part of the sample was not submerged. Also, it was difficult to mount the specimen in a chamber with small diameter. Solutions were discussed, including a larger bath as well as different approaches to mounting the specimens. Pretensioning of the specimens was difficult to achieve; it seemed as if the system didn't apply the desired pretension load. This troubleshooting is ongoing.
      • This week's focus will be testing with foam samples to establish the desired protocols. A load to failure test will also be included for Elvis' testing. For cartilage indentation, the bone pieces need to be glued to the base plate. This will be evaluated this week.
      • Snehal acquired photos to evaluate image-based tissue thickness measurement. Initial images are promising. A finer gradation ruler that is made out of metal may be desirable. The ruler is slightly in front of the sample and the measurement appears to be relatively crude, but it may be adequate. Other options were discussed, including a spherical ball with know dimensions placed in plane with the sample.
    • Jason still needs to meet with Robb to finish the pressure calibration specifications. Equilibration specifications are essentially complete but pictures need to be added.
    • Ahmet and Jason need to update the specimen registration page to reflect their discussions.
    • Robb met with Snehal and Tony to help with the fixture designs. Updates are summarized above.
    • Craig will probe points on MRI based patella registration markers. Jason will compare sphere locations from MRI based and probed divots. This should give an indication of the experiment to image registration accuracy.
    • Dylan will complete and upload documentation for robot control and execution reproducibility.
    • Ahmet asks everyone to look at the specimen preparation page for a gross review. In following, we can go through this specification point by point in a future meeting and/or all agree that this is an acceptable approach.Snehal should add more information for the preparation of the specimens for mechanical testing.
  2. Update on joint mechanical testing.
    • Tara updated the group on the current state of the mechanical testing setup. She feels that having the new motors will help resolve some issues but this is yet to be determined. The setup has been working during current tests with another regroup but with new motors experimentation could be smoother.
    • The group also discussed developing a testing protocol that could be used to verify the robot's performance when and after major changes to the hardware.
  3. Update on tissue mechanical testing.
    • See discussions above, on immediate action items from the last meeting.
  4. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
    • The team agreed on the immediate action items. See Immediate Action Items above.
  5. Other.
    • Ahmet and Jason met with the University of Utah group. The FEBio team submitted an abstract to CMBBE 2014 about the newly implemented in situ strain feature in FEBio.

RecurringMeetings/2014-04-29 (last edited 2016-05-04 22:09:52 by localhost)