Recurring Meeting of Cleveland Clinic Core Team

Date: September 16, 2014

Time: 10:30 AM EST

Means: In person meeting


  1. Ahmet Erdemir
  2. Craig Bennetts
  3. Snehal Chokhandre
  4. Robb Colbrunn


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
  2. Discuss tissue mechanical testing related issues and progress.
  3. Discuss testing schedule for 4 oks specimens.
  4. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
  5. Other.

Immediate Action Items:


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
    • Martin Garon from Biomomentum Inc. has been visiting to resolve data acquisition issues during tissue testing. Snehal, Robb, and Ahmet already had discussions with him. Martin was able to reproduce the issues in our machine. Martin has a few ideas on why the use of the camera may cause system crash and potential solutions: RAID configuration of hard-drives, collection of images in low resolution with RAW format, avoiding writing files to the desktop, turning of indexing for file search, avoiding writing too many files in the same folder, etc. Ahmet was previously collecting data at high resolution (1280x960, BMP or RAW). The spikes in displacement data is probably due to video capture.
    • Craig converted Open Knee(s) - Generation 1 model to make it compatible with FEBio version 2. Ahmet ran some simulations using multiple cores in the in-house high performance computing architecture resulting in significant reduction in computational cost, e.g., 1 hour when using 16 cores. Craig and Ahmet have been discussing scripting for this model as well as upcoming Generation 2 models. Two sets of scripts may need to be developed; one for cloud computing to modify the models, another for assembly of models.
    • Ahmet evaluated user privileges for data organization using the in house Midas Platform. Members of a community can only view the files. Moderators can upload files, create folders. Administrator can move folders including those created by moderators. Ahmet needs to provide all team members administrator privileges to allow them organize the folder structure.
    • Snehal needs to have administrator rights to organize tissue testing data in the Midas Platform. She has ordered an external hard-drive to transfer data from data acquisition system.
    • Discussions on Snehal's activities relevant to tissue mechanical testing can be found in the notes for the following agenda item.
    • Snehal contacted XYZ Scientific to get a quote for Truegrid upgrade. She have not received a response yet.
    • Ahmet reviewed the MR images of oks004 by downloading separate MRI sequences from the in-house Midas Platform
      • General purpose imaging sequence is noisy.
      • Coronal image sequence for soft tissue reconstruction was not collected. The images are in the sagittal plane.
      • The specimen seems to have bone anomalies in the marrow space.
      • The team needs to check images during imaging to ensure all sequences are right. Craig will follow up with the personnel in the imaging facility about MRI issues of oks004. Ahmet and Craig will follow up with Carl Winalski to understand if the specimen exhibits any bone pathology.
  2. Discuss tissue mechanical testing related issues and progress.
    • In the oks004 wiki page, Snehal uploaded a file summarizing tissue testing samples and providing experimentation notes.
      • Snehal will move the contents of the file to the wiki page for others to edit. This will provide hierarchical organization sample information within the specimen page.
      • Tissue thickness data were provided in the file attached to the oks004 page. This needs to be provided along with tissue testing data, e.g. in a readme file or a separate text file.
      • A total of 21 tests were conducted, 9 more to come.
      • Craig's script will be used for temporal downsampling of video data. It should be noted that the video data was collected at 5 Hz, which may not provide adequate number of pictures during ramp cycles (assumed to take 0.03 seconds). Images from relaxation cycle may provide an indication of Poisson's ratio for the steady-state (or the solid phase) of the sample.
    • Snehal will provide sampling frequency and resolution of video data in the specifications page for tissue testing.
    • Ahmet wondered if anyone looked at the tendon compression data collected to evaluate the influence of freeze-thaw cycles on mechanical response. Robb and Snehal had a quick look at the data, which looked qualitatively fine.
  3. Discuss testing schedule for 4 oks specimens.
    • BioRobotics Core and the imaging facility were reserved for the first week of next four months for testing. Upcoming testing will be during October 5-8, 2014 using oks001.

    • Specimens from elderly will be tested first to evaluate the health status of the knee and order upcoming specimens accordingly.
    • Ahmet asked if there are any critical issues that need to be addressed before additional testing starts.
      • While not critical, manufacturing of new registration markers with better sphericity and concentricity may be helpful. The team needs to design these and get a quote for 3D printing. Robb and Snehal will provide information about required center hole size (to host the screw). Ahmet will get the CAD drawing and the STL surface files for 3D printing. Eight and more spheres will need to be made (for redundancy). In the meanwhile, off-the-shelf plastic hollow spheres will be prepared (drilled and tapped) for experimentation.
      • The team needs more freezer space in the BioRobotics Core.

      • Craig will update the anatomical imaging specifications page to ensure that images are reviewed after each sequence is collected.
      • Snehal will create the oks005 page and fill in specimen characteristics.
    • The group discussed sharing of the workload during experiments.
      • Ahmet will review specifications during experimentation.
      • Ahmet will get assist calibration of and measurements with the pressure sensor.
      • A surgeon will be asked for dissection. He/she will also identify and resect secondary tissue to build tissue bank. Snehal will contact Morgan Jones for arrangements.
      • All team members were reminded to evaluate the data while they are being collected to confirm that the information meets specifications.
  4. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
    • Action items were discussed and agreed upon. See Immediate Action Items above.
  5. Other.
    • None noted.

RecurringMeetings/2014-09-16 (last edited 2016-05-04 22:09:50 by localhost)