Recurring Meeting of Cleveland Clinic Core Team

Date: February 17, 2015

Time: 10:30 AM EST

Means: In person meeting


  1. Ahmet Erdemir
  2. Craig Bennetts
  3. Snehal Chokhandre
  4. Robb Colbrunn
  5. Tara Bonner


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
  2. Discuss pivot shift manuscript development.
  3. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
  4. Other.

Immediate Action Items:


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
    • Snehal ordered pressure sensors and met with Robb, Tony and Andrew about the tissue thickness measurement system. With Craig, she is going over Python scripting to analyze tissue testing data. She needs to order containers to hold all specimen boxes before moving them to the third floor walk-in freezer.
    • Craig still needs to upload MRIs of oks007 to the wiki.
    • Tara uploaded the oks007 laxity plots to the wiki. The team briefly went over the data. Tara still needs to order various supplies for joint testing.
    • All team members need to regularly transfer photos from experimentation to the in-house data management system.
  2. Discuss pivot shift manuscript development.
    • Craig described the pre-processing script to apply any desirable joint mechanics data to the Open Knee(s) - Generation 1 model. The script accommodates handling the sign conventions to make kinematic-kinetics consistent and handles application of the loads to the femur of a left or a right knee model. Per discussion with Robb, Craig will also incorporate offsets (to add or subtract from kinematics data) as a feature.
    • Snehal will start assigning writing roles to others to fill up the contents of the manuscript.
    • Robb still needs to contact Paul Saluan to include him in the study.
  3. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
    • See Immediate Action Items above.
  4. Other.
    • Snehal informed the group that specimen ordering was not processed appropriately, which she had to intervene. March testing may be delayed due to specimen availability. If that happens, the first week of March will be used to focus on scholarly work.
    • Snehal also reminded the group that oks004 tissue characterization has four tensile testing remaining. She cleaned up the computer controlling the Mach-1 tissue testing system to allow appropriate disk space for data collection and backup of data.
    • Robb asked if the Open Knee(s) team want to pay for additional tensile tissue testing parts (female components). It will be convenient to have these as there are multiple male components but single female parts requiring logistical issues when multiple users need the fixtures. Ahmet confirmed that it will be good to have these.
    • Robb received information to connect the freezers (walk-in and the one in the BioRobotics laboratory) to the Cleveland Clinic's feedback response system. An outside contractor can do the work at a cost of ~$3,400 to connect both freezers to the system such that in case of a failure Cleveland Clinic security can be informed and call the team. Robb will contact the Department of Biomedical Engineering at Cleveland Clinic to seek for support.

    • ASB 2015 abstract submissions were discussed. Three abstract will likely be developed: for patellofemoral joint testing (led by Robb), for tissue testing (led by Snehal), and for the pivot shift study. The initial drafts for the former two will be developed this week. The latter will be in parallel with the evolution of the pivot shift manuscript.
    • Ahmet informed his decision to recruit the first summer student of 2015. Omar Gad from University of Toledo will join the Open Knee(s) team. He has been exposed to some knee modeling in Goel's laboratory. Ahmet anticipates recruitment of four students, all working in synergistic projects possibly with each other (from mid May to mid August). The students will need to learn good practices of software/model development, i.e. using version control, wiki and will be exposed to Python. Ahmet will inform them about the possibility of online Python courses.
    • The team briefly went over minutes of past meetings to ensure all action items were addressed. It seems like there are no left over action items that has not been already accounted for.

RecurringMeetings/2015-02-17 (last edited 2016-05-04 22:09:52 by localhost)