Recurring Meeting of Cleveland Clinic Core Team

Date: March 24, 2015

Time: 10:30 AM EST

Means: In person meeting


  1. Ahmet Erdemir
  2. Craig Bennetts
  3. Snehal Chokhandre
  4. Robb Colbrunn
  5. Tara Bonner


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
  2. Finalize pivot shift simulation manuscript submission content.
  3. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
  4. Other.

Immediate Action Items:


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
    • Completion of immediate action items has been delayed. Some of these are repeated above to follow-up in the upcoming week.
  2. Finalize pivot shift simulation manuscript submission content.
    • Ahmet conducted simulations with kinetic scaling factors of 1, 0.1, 0.01, 0.001. Only the latter one converged. He also decided to run simulations with a scaling factor of 0.0, which converged. This simulation will evaluate if the applied loads change joint kinematic response after scaling.
    • Ahmet also conducted simulations with decreased anterior cruciate ligament properties, by 1e-6 and by 1e-3. He tried scaling factors of 0.001 and 0.0. Convergence problems were observed.
    • Tara brought up the issue that the kinetics she provided the group after transforming to reference (initial) femur coordinate system were the actual loads applied by the robot during the experiments not the desired. There are large differences between the desired and applied loads depending when the specimen exhibits pivot shift. She will provide new kinetics data and potentially a simplified one with ramp loading and unloading.
    • Ahmet and Craig discussed potential aliasing of the load curves when step size is coarse. Dividing the load curve to 10 intervals may still induce some aliasing, therefore larger number of intervals may need to be used.
    • Robb indicated that the coordinate systems used in the data and the model can be aligned better if the group can provide him location of anatomical landmarks on the model. The group went over the Open Knee User's Guide where Ahmet pointed out the relevant section on coordinate systems and anatomical landmarks. Ahmet and Craig will extract this information from Open Knee dissemination and provide it to Robb.
    • The group postponed submission of the pivot shift manuscript. Ahmet asked all to think about ideas to enhance and complete the pivot shift study. The group will need to set up new deadlines to push this initiative forward.
  3. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
    • See Immediate Action Items above.
  4. Other.
    • Ahmet updated the group about summer students. At this moment, two students were recruited one supported by the NSF/REU program in the Department of Biomedical Engineering at Cleveland Clinic. He is planning to recruit 2 more students.
    • Ahmet also summarized how he envisions the summer work by students. He anticipates to assign them to a major project which will require programming in Python to streamline analysis of data, where specifications to bring information into a usable form for modeling and simulation can be achieved. This will be a priority for the students to achieve. As secondary assignments, the students will be asked to contribute to segmentation and conduct simulations with Open Knee(s) - Generation 1. With this approach the students will have the opportunity to learn programming and data analysis, to get involved in model development, and to act as users of existing models, which is likely to provide them a good perspective on what needs to be done when developing new models. Each student project will have a separate wiki page and a folder in the source code repository.
    • Some high priority student projects for this summer may include reproducibility assessment of tibiofemoral joint testing, registration of experimental and imaging coordinate systems, patellofemoral joint contact mechanics, and fitting material models to tissue data.

RecurringMeetings/2015-03-24 (last edited 2016-05-04 22:09:50 by localhost)