Recurring Meeting of Cleveland Clinic Core Team

Date: October 6, 2015

Time: 10:30 AM EST

Means: In person meeting


  1. Ahmet Erdemir
  2. Craig Bennetts
  3. Snehal Chokhandre
  4. Robb Colbrunn
  5. Tara Bonner
  6. Will Zaylor


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
  2. Discuss potential publications.
  3. Discuss tissue testing protocol evaluation progress.
  4. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
  5. Other.

Immediate Action Items:

Ongoing Action Items:


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
    • Ahmet was in abroad. He did not complete his action items. He will follow up with them this week.
    • Craig was in abroad last week. He will follow up with his remaining action items this week.
    • Snehal went over the documentation on meshing. While she was able to follow the instructions well, she needed a newer version of Salome installed on her computer. She will continue testing meshing procedures after installation of a newer version of Salome.
    • Robb needed update scripts to transform data in right knee abstraction to physical left knee coordinate systems. He will upload oks003 data this week. Post-experiment calibration file for oks007 was not found in computers used for data collection. The sensor will be calibrated again to provide this information.
    • Robb and Tara started to format their respective manuscripts to conform the organization of Scientific Data. Content from relevant conference abstracts were copied in these. Detailed outlines still need to be prepares (also see the relevant agenda item below).
  2. Discuss potential publications.
    • Ahmet went over the extent of the requested outline, using tibiofemoral joint mechanics manuscript as an example. Scientific Data recommends various sections for a data manuscript and the outline Ahmet asks for needs to provide a list of paragraphs in each section, where the desired content of each paragraph is summarized by a few sentences.
    • For the Summary section; the paragraphs should respond to:
      • Why tibiofemoral joint mechanics is important in general?
      • Why tibiofemoral joint mechanics if important for modeling & simulation?

      • What did others do to collect tibiofemoral joint mechanics data, e.g. literature survey?
      • Why did we collect data, i.e. can't we use data from other studies?
    • The Methods section will essentially be a summary of the specifications pages, which should include:
      • Specimen characteristics
      • What happened to the specimens before tibiofemoral joint mechanics testing?
      • What were the tibiofemoral joint testing protocols?
      • What were specimen-specific exceptions to the testing protocols, i.e. deviations from specifications?
    • The Data Records section should describe the data content, i.e. what is available? Where? File formats should be described in here.
    • The Technical Validation section can include:
      • Data as is; i.e. laxity response, combined loading response in comparison to literature.
      • Repeatability, e.g. anterior-posterior laxity
    • The Usage section should describe how the data can be used for scientific research, e.g. role of specimen parameters on specimen response, and for modeling & simulation of the joint.

    • The Tables should include a table on specimen characteristics, e.g. age, gender, etc. Mechanics data may not be put as tables per instructions of the journal.
    • Ahmet informed the group that outlines should also include a list of figures and tables to help establish the story line.
  3. Discuss tissue testing protocol evaluation progress.
    • Snehal has built a frame for optical measurement system. She used a miniaturized version of 80/20 (MakerBeam). She will start collecting sample data. She explored the possibility of using USB lights, yet did not find the illumination adequate. She will evaluate whether lights used for other in-house testing equipment work.

    • Snehal requested dedicated space and computer to connect the optical tissue thickness measurement system. Ahmet told her to go ahead and do the necessary arrangements to place the system in tissue testing laboratory.
    • Snehal is still working on Python scripts to post-process tissue testing data. She will discuss with Craig some of the related issues.
    • Snehal informed the team that she is still waiting for new force transducers to conduct the tissue testing evaluation protocols.
  4. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
    • See Immediate Action Items above.
  5. Other.
    • Will Zaylor joined the meeting. He is a graduate student from Cleveland State University working with Jason Halloran. Will wants to understand the Open Knee(s) project with the intention to utilize Open Knee(s) data. Ahmet tasked Will with the activity to download oks001 data in order to evaluate data contents and supporting documentation. His feedback will be useful for making sense of raw data sets, in particular the joint mechanics data. Ahmet asked him to provide his questions/feedback through public forums of Open Knee(s).
    • Ahmet informed the group that he has to schedule the Advisory Board meeting. He is also planning to include two researchers, Kevin Shelburne and Carl Imhauser, in the discussions. Both work on modeling and simulation of the knee and collect data that can complement Open Knee(s) project.
    • Snehal informed the team that there has not been any knees received from specimen suppliers and that we may need to wait longer.
    • Ahmet asked Robb about the status of pivot shift robotic experimentation manuscript. Pivot shift profiles from this manuscript is the basis for modeling & simulation case study conducted by using Open Knee(s) - Generation 1 model. The experimentation manuscript was declined for further review by Journal of Biomechanical Engineering due to its high clinical content. The plan is to submit it to a clinically relevant journal, where the technical details can be incorporated in the supplementary materials.

RecurringMeetings/2015-10-06 (last edited 2016-05-04 22:09:50 by localhost)