Recurring Meeting of Cleveland Clinic Core Team

Date: October 20, 2015

Time: 10:30 AM EST

Means: In person meeting


  1. Ahmet Erdemir
  2. Craig Bennetts
  3. Snehal Chokhandre
  4. Robb Colbrunn
  5. Tara Bonner
  6. Jason Halloran (Cleveland State University)
  7. Will Zaylor (Cleveland State University)


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
  2. Discuss planned manuscript outlines.
  3. Discuss tissue testing protocol evaluation progress.
  4. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
  5. Other.

Immediate Action Items:

Ongoing Action Items:


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
    • Ahmet disseminated the joint mechanics data for oks003. He needed csv files for patellofemoral contact pressures for oks008. He already informed Robb to provide these. He also needed the contact pressure sensor post-experiment calibration file for oks007. Robb mentioned that this file has recently been uploaded to the data management system.
    • Ahmet still needs to provide the flow chart for data analysis. He will focus on this after completion of the joint mechanics data dissemination.
    • Ahmet has sent an invitation to the Advisory Board members to schedule a meeting sometime between November 9-24, 2015. He is waiting for responses from Yasin, Carl, Paul, and Rami. Ahmet will follow up and start working on the progress report.
    • Ahmet also noted that he scheduled a conference call with other knee biomechanics researchers: Thor Besier from University of Auckland, Kevin Shelburne from Denver University, and Carl Imhauser from Hospital for Special Surgery. Jason requested to be part of the conference call.
    • Craig explored the possibility of hexahedral meshing of STL surfaces using SALOME. An easy solution does not seem to exist. Currently, the group has workflows for tetrahedral meshing from STL surfaces using MeshLab and Salome, hexahedral meshing from STL surfaces using IAFEMesh, and hexahedral meshing from IGES surfaces using Salome. Craig already documented the latter two, Ahmet needs to document the tetrahedral meshing workflow. The group can also use Truegrid, a proprietary software, for hexahedral meshing.

    • Craig recommended to start working on segmentation of knees tested as part of Open Knee(s) - Generation 2 efforts. Ahmet advised to start with oks001. This activity will also give the team the opportunity to evaluate efforts by summer students and to clean up and complete relevant specifications.
    • Craig also shared his results with running passive flexion simulations, this time with longer durations. The results indicate variable convergence characteristics. Ahmet noted that it may be a good idea to start identifying spring stiffness parameter that are physiological. Craig will search literature on mechanical properties of transverse ligaments, attachments between medial collateral ligament and medial meniscus, and joint capsule.
    • Snehal reported that NDRI, another specimen supplier, do not provide specimens from younger donors. She received a specimen from AGR - oks009 candidate. The imaging for this specimen is scheduled for November 17, 2015. The experimentation will be during November 15-19, 2015. Snehal also asked for feedback on disposal of specimens to provide to specimen suppliers.
    • Robb ordered and received a redundant lens for the optical tissue thickness measurement system. Snehal will use this lens to collect sample images.
    • Snehal is still waiting to hear from Biomomentum, Inc. about additional load cells. In the meanwhile, she has been working on Python scripting for analyzing tissue testing data.
    • Snehal reviewed four wiki pages related to tissue testing. Robb and Tara will review these pages as well. Robb will evaluate specifications on experimentation to quantify tissue mechanics. Tara will evaluate specifications on specimen preparation relevant to sampling of tissues.
    • Robb uploaded oks003 joint mechanics data represented in physical left knee coordinate systems. He also performed post-experiment calibration on contact pressure sensor for oks007 and uploaded the file to the data management system.
    • Tara uploaded the tibiofemoral joint testing data for oks008 to the data management system.
  2. Discuss planned manuscript outlines.
    • The group went over the outline of tibiofemoral joint testing manuscript provided by Tara. Tara implemented the recommendations by the group throughout the discussions. She will start filling in the manuscript.
    • Craig and Robb will work on a more detailed outline for their respective manuscripts.
  3. Discuss tissue testing protocol evaluation progress.
    • See relevant discussions on immediate action items from the last meeting.
  4. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
    • See Immediate Action Items above.
  5. Other.
    • None.

RecurringMeetings/2015-10-20 (last edited 2016-05-04 22:09:48 by localhost)