Recurring Meeting of Cleveland Clinic Core Team

Date: October 27, 2015

Time: 10:30 AM EST

Means: In person meeting


  1. Ahmet Erdemir
  2. Craig Bennetts
  3. Snehal Chokhandre
  4. Robb Colbrunn
  5. Tara Bonner


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
  2. Discuss manuscripts' progress.
  3. Discuss tissue testing protocol evaluation progress.
  4. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
  5. Other.

Immediate Action Items:

Ongoing Action Items:


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
    • Ahmet disseminated oks007 and oks008 data. He started organizing oks004 data. He realized some discrepancies in matching of patellofemoral joint contact pressures and kinematics/kinetics. He also identified a few folders in the tibiofemoral joint data, which were not processed. Robb noted that the data folders have notes on trials that reflect content relevant to experimentation specifications. Nonetheless, he will go over oks004 data to ensure completeness of information.
    • For the Advisory Board meeting, Ahmet got responses from Rami Korhonen, Trent Guess, Morgan Jones, and Jack Andrish for scheduling. Others have not responded yet. Ahmet has started preparing the progress report for the meeting. He has also been trying to get in touch with Carl Winalski for MRI based grading of the specimens.
    • Ahmet has not prepared flowcharts to describe data flow for pre-processing of joint kinematics. This activity has been moved to ongoing action items. Ahmet also needs to spend time on reviewing and accumulating segmentation and geometry generation specifications. He plans to focus on this activity after dissemination of data.
    • Craig requested access to Katie Stemmer's project to evaluate segmentation and mesh generation protocols. This will help him to start segmentation of tissues from oks001 images. Snehal will add Craig to Katie's project website as a team member to allow him access.
    • Craig identified a handful of studies that may be relevant to capsule properties and medial collateral ligament/menisci attachment. Many of these are modeling papers that usually cite other modeling papers. Ahmet emphasized the importance of finding the original source, which contains experimental data. The group went over a paper by Galbusera et al. (2014), which provides a broad summary of sources for ligament properties used in modeling. Ahmet asked Craig and Snehal to find all in vitro studies cited in this manuscript. In response to Craig, he mentioned the use of interlibrary loan to acquire hard to find articles.
    • Craig filled in the outline for the imaging manuscript, see discussion on relevant agenda item below.
    • Snehal went over the sample images she took with the optical tissue thickness measurement system. The group decided to keep the aperture setting in a way to allow delineation of sharp images and may be utilize lightning to facilitate this. Snehal and Craig will use gauges to quantify accuracy of tissue thickness measurements and the potential influence of ruler placement.
    • Snehal informed the team that new load transducers for the Mach-1 mechanical testing system has been shipped.
    • Snehal is still working on Python scripts to automate analysis of tissue testing data.
    • Tara reviewed specifications on specimen preparation and provided comments for Snehal. Snehal will respond to these.
    • Tara did not have a chance to fill in the tibiofemoral joint testing manuscript.
    • Robb provided an outline of the patellofemoral joint testing manuscript, see discussion on relevant agenda item below.
  2. Discuss manuscripts' progress.
    • The group went over the patellofemoral joint testing manuscript outline provided by Robb. The outline was updated to reflect comments. Robb will start filling in.
    • The group went over the anatomical imaging manuscript outline provided by Craig. Craig will updated the outline to reflect comments and he will start filling in.
    • The team discussed in which article to put the registration related information. Ahmet recommended that the intention to put registration markers should be described in the anatomical imaging manuscript along with the data acquisition specific to MRI and possible sample segmentation. The manuscript for tibiofemoral joint mechanics can include data acquisition specific to robotics testing, refer to MRI manuscript, and include analysis on registration marker errors.
    • Ahmet reminded the group to cross-reference the data manuscripts, particularly if these will be submitted as a theme.
  3. Discuss tissue testing protocol evaluation progress.
    • See discussions above on immediate actions from the previous meeting.
  4. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
    • See Immediate Action Items above.
  5. Other.
    • The team discussed having the Open Knee(s) meeting at Cleveland State University, in the laboratory of Jason Halloran. It may be desirable to move the meeting earlier in the morning to allow time for return to Cleveland Clinic. The group decided that next week may not fit to Jason's schedule. Upcoming weeks may be more favorable.
    • Last week, Ahmet and Jason Halloran met with other knee researchers about collaboration and data sharing - Kevin Shelburne, Peter Laz, Carl Imhauser, and Thor Besier. Ahmet will follow up with the group in upcoming weeks to establish ongoing discussions.
    • Ahmet asked Snehal to consider acquiring a knee specimen with similar demographics as oks001 to augment Open Knee(s) data.

RecurringMeetings/2015-10-27 (last edited 2016-05-04 22:09:48 by localhost)