Recurring Meeting of Cleveland Clinic Core Team

Date: November 3, 2015

Time: 10:30 AM EST

Means: In person meeting


  1. Ahmet Erdemir
  2. Craig Bennetts
  3. Snehal Chokhandre
  4. Robb Colbrunn
  5. Tara Bonner
  6. Jason Halloran
  7. Will Zaylor


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
  2. Discuss tissue testing protocol evaluation progress.
  3. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
  4. Other.

Immediate Action Items:

Ongoing Action Items:


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
    • Ahmet disseminated the oks004 data (Robb confirmed completeness of data). He submitted a news item to and announced the availability of mechanics data in BIOMCH-L. He will focus his efforts on documentation of specifications for image segmentation and geometry generation.

    • Ahmet has not heard from Yasin Dhaher, Carl Winalski, and Paul Saluan. He will follow up with them to schedule meetings for Advisory Board update.
    • Craig discussed the segmentation approach using Slicer. He already went over the segmentation documentation provided by Katie Stemmer (Snehal provided access to him). He mentioned the need to save multiple files when using Slicer's native scene format. Ahmet noted that it will be possible to save segmentation as NiFTi files (essentially binary image volumes) and continue working on them by re-loading them to Slicer or any other segmentation software. Ahmet and Craig need to work together if segmentation approach require saving multiple files or not. Ideally, segmentation files should be in the repository as long as the segmentation of the same tissue continues. When completed raw (unsmoothed) segmentation volume should be released than raw surfaces should be generated followed by generation of smoothed surfaces.
    • Craig provided a summary of tissue property citations from Galbusera et al. (2014). He will provide this information in the wiki. Snehal will share with him her previous literature search on tissue properties.
    • Craig did not have a chance to work on the imaging manuscript.
    • Snehal found a mid-femur to mid-tibia specimen to iron out tissue testing specifications. She will order this specimen. She has also been looking for a specimen with demographics similar to those of oks004 (female, 46 years old).
    • Snehal addressed Tara's comments on tissue preparation wiki pages. She has not looked at tissue experimentation pages yet.
    • Snehal and Craig acquired images with a gauge using OTMS. The group discussed their findings and agreed upon placing the tissue to the platform edge with the ruler centered to the tissue. There are many other variables that may influence tissue thickness measurements. Ahmet will meet with Snehal and Craig to see the setup.
    • Snehal received the new force transducers for the Mach-1 system. These will provide higher resolution to measure low forces.
    • Tara started to make tables for the tibiofemoral joint testing manuscript. She needs to coordinate with others when making the table describing specimens as this table will be included in all the manuscripts. Grading of the specimen from anatomical images should be provided in this table. She wondered if oks009 will be added to the manuscript. Ahmet noted that if collected, it will. She should prepare the document and figures to be expandable in case data on new specimens are collected.
    • Robb went over the outline for patelloremoral joint testing manuscript. The group provided comments on how to present the data, i.e. plots under constant force as a function of flexion. Robb will implement these.
    • Ahmet mentioned that an illustration of coordinate systems and their detailed descriptions should be provided in the manuscripts as this may result in confusion for the readers.
    • Ahmet mentioned that if we should use Python scripts developed by the students to generate plots for joint testing. This may help guide the reader to reproduce the plots.
  2. Discuss tissue testing protocol evaluation progress.
    • See relevant discussions above on immediate action items from previous meeting.
  3. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
    • See Immediate Action Items above.
  4. Other.
    • Next week meetings will likely be at Cleveland State University. Snehal will follow up with Jason.

RecurringMeetings/2015-11-03 (last edited 2016-05-04 22:09:49 by localhost)