Recurring Meeting of Cleveland Clinic Core Team

Date: November 10, 2015

Time: 9:00 AM EST

Means: In person meeting (@ Cleveland State University)


  1. Ahmet Erdemir
  2. Craig Bennetts
  3. Snehal Chokhandre
  4. Robb Colbrunn
  5. Tara Bonner
  6. Jason Halloran (Cleveland State University)
  7. Will Zaylor (Cleveland State University)


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
  2. Discuss preparations for oks009 testing next week.
  3. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
  4. Other.

Immediate Action Items:

Ongoing Action Items:


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
    • Ahmet started reviewing and accumulating segmentation, geometry generation and mesh generation specifications. He went over each specification wiki page discussing it with team members. Segmentation goal is to get the boundaries of every tissue rather than accommodating for meshing and geometry generation. These boundaries can later be used stand-alone or with other tissue boundaries to accommodate different geometry and mesh generation needs. Ahmet started labeling of the headings depending the type of input, e.g., parametric surfaces or triangulated surfaces, and or desired outcome. He will continue working on these specifications.
    • Ahmet also met with Snehal and Craig to go over the procedure to measure tissue thickness. Snehal and Ahmet decided that spot lights may not work. Snehal will be looking for lights that can provide uniform illumination of the tissue, gage and background and stronger than the ambient light. Snehal needs to order a computer to use with the OTMS.
    • Craig discussed his segmentation approach for the bones. He completed femur and tibia segmentation for oks001 using grow cut method. The process required multiple manual interventions. Craig will document his workflow for segmentation of the bones on the wiki. He noted that segmentation of each bone may take a day.
    • Craig found almost all of citations from Galbusera et al. (2014) for material properties used in 2D/3D representations of ligaments. He provided all these citations including those for 1D representations in the tissue modeling wiki page with descriptions of available data and tissue type.
    • Snehal added images to specimen preparation. She asked Craig if he can upload tissue dissection pictures that he may have in his camera to relevant sections of the in-house data management system. She responded all the questions in the specimen preparation wiki page.
    • Snehal mentioned that a specimen to practice tissue testing will be received this week. She requested that the team dissects the specimen for tissue testing. Ahmet advised to wait until after testing of oks009.
    • Tara has been filling in sections of the tibiofemoral joint testing manuscript.
    • Robb did not have a chance to work on patellofemoral joint testing manuscript.
  2. Discuss preparations for oks009 testing next week.
    • The wiki page for the specimen, oks009, needs to be created. Snehal will start it. We do not have X-rays for this specimen.
    • Imaging is scheduled for November 17, 2015 @ 10 AM.
    • Snehal e-mailed Morgan Jones for tissue dissection, she has not heard back.
    • Tara will order supplies, e.g. chucks, scrubs, etc. Tara, Snehal and Craig will go over the necessary tools and supplies to ensure the team has all the necessary items for testing. In response to Robb, Ahmet confirmed the availability of pressure sensors.
    • Snehal and Ahmet will take knee out at 9:00 AM on Sunday (November 15, 2015)
    • Specimen preparation will start at 9:00 AM on Monday led by Tara (November 16, 2015)
    • The team will meet at 8:30 AM on Tuesday for imaging preparation led by Craig (November 17, 2015)
    • The specimen will be aimed to be ready for tibiofemoral joint testing (led by Tara) at 1:00 PM on Tuesday (November 17, 2015)
    • Ahmet and Robb will meet, early morning on Wednesday (7:00 AM) to start patellofemoral joint testing (November 18, 2015). Ahmet and Robb will prepare the sensor and conduct pre-testing calibration on Tuesday morning when others are at imaging (10:00 AM, November 17, 2015)
  3. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
    • See Immediate Action Items above.
  4. Other.
    • Based on Robb's question, the group also discussed a general workflow for finite element analyis, e.g. for those who may not have experience in modeling. Ahmet noted that Open Knee(s) specifications assumes that the user has an interest in prediction joint and tissue mechanics and that finite element analysis is the tool to acquire this information. Ahmet noted that for another project he has prepared a higher level workflow that can accompany Open Knee(s) specifications. He will provide this information in the wiki.
    • The group decided that during tissue testing, the specimen page should record the version of the Mach-1 tissue testing system software for reproducibility.
    • There will be no meeting next week due to testing schedule.

RecurringMeetings/2015-11-10 (last edited 2016-05-04 22:09:50 by localhost)