Recurring Meeting of Cleveland Clinic Core Team

Date: November 24, 2015

Time: 10:30 AM EST

Means: In person meeting


  1. Ahmet Erdemir
  2. Craig Bennetts
  3. Snehal Chokhandre
  4. Rob Colbrunn
  5. Tara Bonner
  6. Will Zaylor (Cleveland State University)


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
  2. Discuss data acquired for oks009.
  3. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
  4. Other.

Immediate Action Items:

Ongoing Action Items:


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
    • Ahmet completed the progress report for the Advisory Board meetings. Through conference calls Ahmet met with Rami Korhonen, Carl Winalski, and Paul Saluan (in the first conference call) and with Trent Guess, Jack Andrish and Morgan Jones (in the second). The first conference call focused on MRI scoring of Open Knee(s) specimens, where the second focused on translation of Open Knee(s) modeling and simulation to the clinics. Ahmet mentioned that detailed meeting minutes of the Advisory Board were compiled and provided in the wiki. Ahmet asked Snehal and Craig to compile anatomical imaging data of Open Knee(s) specimens (both NIfTI and DICOM) in an external harddrive for transferring images to Carl Winalski. Snehal will purchase an harddrive for this purpose.
    • Craid discussed his experience on the segmentation of the patellar ligament. He noted the challenges in the identification of tissue boundary, particularly in relation to the out-of-plane resolution of connective tissue specific MR imaging. He will update specifications of segmentation to document his experience and his workflow in more detail.
    • Craig has not worked on the manuscript for anatomical imaging. MRI scoring of the knees will be incorporated to the manuscript. Craig has started reading literature provided by Carl Winalski on different scoring strategies.
    • Snehal did not summarize tissue testing papers that may be used as resources for modeling tissue properties.
    • Snehal ordered computers for optical measurement system and got the tissue platform painted in black. She continued working on a script to quickly analyze and assess tissue testing data.
    • Snehal noted that she received calibration files for the new force transducers from Martin Garon of Biomomentum Inc. She is ready to use these force transducers for testing. She will work with Robb to ensure appropriate connection of the transducers to the Mach-1 mechanical testing system.
    • Tara did not have a chance to work on tibiofemoral joint testing manuscript. Similarly, Robb was not able to focus on the patellofemoral joint testing manuscript. Ahmet emphasized that he wants the manuscripts to be completed for submission before the next progress report (May 2016).
  2. Discuss data acquired for oks009.
    • The group discussed the testing of oks009 and agreed that other than the abrupt loading of the tibiofemoral joint (up to 5,000N), the experimentation went well. Passive flexion curves before and after this abrupt loading appeared to be similar and there were no visual signs of tissue damage as assessed by David Brigadi (a resident) during dissection. Nonetheless, Ahmet noted that damage to the knee may be a possibility and this was indicated on the specimen wiki page.
    • The group identified post-experimentation activities for oks009:
      • Post-experimentation calibration of pressure sensor needs to be performed. Callan already conducted this.
      • Callan uploaded the contact pressure data to the in-house data management system. Ahmet mentioned that the data need to be augmented with pre- and post-experiment calibration/equilibration files and .cvs export of trial files. Robb and Callan will work on this.
      • Robb will upload tibiofemoral and patellofemoral joint kinematics/kinetics data to the in-house data management system.
      • Craig will upload raw MRI data to the in-house data management system. He will also provide sample images on the specimen wiki page.
    • Ahmet asked for the possibility to evaluate the robot before every experimentation to ensure its appropriate operation. This may prevent any abrupt loading of prospective specimens. For oks009, the robots malfunction was attributed to encoder misalignment and such issues may be identified if the robot is evaluated beforehand. Tara noted that the robot has a factory default "exercise" trajectory, which may be used for this purpose.
    • Before patellofemoral joint testing, Robb and Tara had to troubleshoot SimVitro, the robot control system, for proper operation. They identified that after the upgrade of SimVitro software, Open Knee(s) specific scripts to move from tibiofemoral joint placement to patellofemoral joint placement did not work as desired. For oks009, the issue was circumvented manually. Tara will update the Open Knee(s) related scripts for their streamlined operation with the upgraded SimVitro software.

  3. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
    • See Immediate Action Items above.
  4. Other.
    • Following oks009 testing, the group decided to order another specimen from a young male donor. Snehal will follow up.
    • Ahmet noted that a lot of conferences deadlines are approaching (mostly January 15). He encouraged team members to approach him if they have any ideas to work on for presentation. Studies on data collection and model development and simulations related to case studies are potential candidates.
    • In a discussion related to case studies, Ahmet asked Robb about the status of the pivot shift experimentation manuscript. Robb noted that the manuscript was not published yet and will likely be submitted to a more suitable journal. The orthopaedics resident, who worked on the project, was asked to provide a more clinical perspective for submission to American Journal of Sports Medicine.

RecurringMeetings/2015-11-24 (last edited 2016-05-04 22:09:48 by localhost)