Recurring Meeting of Cleveland Clinic Core Team

Date: December 8, 2015

Time: 10:30 AM EST

Means: In person meeting


  1. Ahmet Erdemir
  2. Craig Bennetts
  3. Snehal Chokhandre
  4. Robb Colbrunn
  5. Tara Bonner
  6. Jason Halloran (Cleveland State University)
  7. Will Zaylor (Cleveland State University)


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
  2. Discuss tissue testing protocol evaluation progress.
  3. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
  4. Other.

Immediate Action Items:

Ongoing Action Items:



  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
    • Ahmet disseminated oks009 MRI data. During organization of oks009 joint mechanics data, he realized that processed files to represent the specimen, which is a left knee, in physical space were not available. He informed Robb and Tara to provide these. Robb and Tara noted that they already uploaded an updated zip file to the in-house data management system to address this issue. Ahmet did not work on accumulating segmentation and geometry generation specifications other than having discussions with Craig.
    • Craig continued segmentation of ligaments from oks001 MRI. The segmentation process is mostly manual. First, a gross manual segmentation on ligament specific MR images is performed. These images provide an appropriate in-plane resolution but due to large thickness of the images the out-of-plane resolution is undesirable. Therefore, a second manual segmentation step is performed on higher resolution cartilage specific MR images by loading the initial gross segmentation to use as a guide. For oks001, segmentation of MCL and menisci is remaining. Craig will need to document his workflow in the image segmentation specifications. He still needs to provide sample MR images for oks009.
    • Snehal updated the Python script to combine ramp and hold intervals of tissue testing data and to extract endpoints of ramp loading and hold phase. She will continue working on the script to calculate instantaneous and equilibrium moduli.
    • Snehal and Robb assembled the high resolution force transducers to the Mach-1 system. An issue with the sensor configuration files prevented testing of these transducers. Snehal will follow up with Martin Garon of Biomomentum, Inc.
    • Tara uploaded laxity plots of oks009 to its specimen wiki page. She completed updating script to move coordinate system definitions from tibiofemoral joint testing session to patellofemoral joint testing session.
    • Robb provided specifications for all robot force transducers in the relevant infrastructure wiki page.
    • Robb asked for help on literature search on patellofemoral joint testing. Jason will provide some references as he has already written a grant related to the topic.
  2. Discuss tissue testing protocol evaluation progress.
    • Snehal wondered about the next steps following completion of analysis script for tissue testing. Ahmet instructed her to start the tissue testing evaluation protocol she has documented. She will first work on quantifying uncertainties associated with Mach-1 testing system, which may not require using tissue samples.
  3. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
    • See Immediate Action Items above.
  4. Other.
    • In response to Craig, Ahmet described the meshing steps following segmentation. The first step is to see if the raw segmentation boundaries for each tissue can be processed, e.g. smoothed, and meshed using tetrahedral elements. Depending on the mismatch of shared boundaries between tissues, e.g. bone and cartilage, segmentation workflow may need to be adjusted depending on geometric modeling and meshing requirements.
    • The group had a discussion on authorship for the data manuscripts. Ahmet referred to authorship criteria of the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors. He encouraged the team to include other team members and physicians as co-authors as long as they meet the ICMJE criteria. Otherwise, the contributions should be noticed in the acknowledgements section of the manuscripts.
    • In relation to data manuscripts, the groups also discussed how to describe overlapping experimental details in different manuscripts. Ahmet noted that one of the manuscripts can describe a common component of the experimentation, e.g. specimens, in more detail and the others will summarize and refer to that manuscript. In addition, he also noted that while there are overlapping description of experimentation, e.g. robotics testing system, there are nuances that need to be described in more detail depending on the focus of paper, e.g. tibiofemoral vs patellofemoral joint coordinate systems.
    • Will and Jason showed Will's software to visualize joint kinematics/kinetics. The team identified the activities needed to spatially align bone geometries with experiment coordinate systems. Ahmet went over source code repository and wiki pages relevant to the work of summer students, who have provided some Python scripts to analyze raw joint mechanics data and registration marker data. Jason considers submitting an abstract on joint kinematics/kinematics visualization and quantification of movements of ligament origins and insertions. This activity will also help Snehal's case study on kinematics driven cruciate ligament mechanics.
    • The team discussed freezer back up plans. All specimen freezers used by the Open Knee(s) project are on back up power. They also have audible and visual alarms installed to inform if freezer temperatures increase above a set point. Remote alarms for notification after hours are also installed but at this moment they are not working appropriately for prompt contact of personnel by phone.

RecurringMeetings/2015-12-08 (last edited 2016-05-04 22:09:48 by localhost)