Recurring Meeting of Cleveland Clinic Core Team

Date: March 1, 2016

Time: 10:30 AM EST

Means: In person meeting


  1. Ahmet Erdemir
  2. Craig Bennetts
  3. Snehal Chokhandre
  4. Robb Colbrunn
  5. Will Zaylor (Cleveland State University)


  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
  2. Continue evaluation of drafts for data manuscripts.
  3. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
  4. Other.

Immediate Action Items:

Ongoing Action Items:



  1. Discuss immediate action items from the last meeting.
    • Ahmet started updating/correcting the segmentation of the medial collateral ligament of oks001. He will complete it this week.
    • Craig did not work on the imaging manuscript. He will follow up with Carl Winalski about grading of knee MRIs.
    • Craid has not expanded the geometry generation workflow. Ahmet asked him to document multiple remeshing of cartilage, providing parameters. Geometry generation procedures should be tested and documented for other tissue types as well.
    • Craig worked on the contact pressure analysis script. He showed the update image output. The team agreed that the script is in a mature state. Craig will make final adjustments and process all specimens and loading conditions. The group discussed committing analyzed pressure analysis data to the source code repository, in separate specimen folders. Craig will document the specifications for analysis in the relevant wiki page including example XML file.
    • Snehal e-mailed Martin Garon to resolve Mach-1 testing system crashing when calibrating the 150 g load cell. She has tried resetting to factory settings, which did not resolve the issue. Martin suggested deleting the calibration file, that didn't work either. If Martin can access the computer reomtely he can troubleshoot the system. Snehal cannot conduct meniscus compression tests until 150g load cell calibration is fixed. Ahmet asked Snehal to request from Martin the details of the actual calibration process.
    • Snehal conducted measurements on cylindrical gauges with the optical tissue thickness measurement system. There is variability in measurements in relation to reference diameter. Ahmet noted that the shadowing on cylinders may cause uncertainties in picking points on the boundary. Snehal will try prismatic gauges. Snehal also utilized a single calibration measurement. She will try to repeat calibration measurements to understand the variability associated with it.
    • Snehal modified Pyhton script to analyze tissue mechanics such that it will work for both tension and compression testing. She tested foam samples in compression and tension to evaluate the analysis workflow. In response to Robb, Snehal and Ahmet summarized that the script calculates actual ramp duration and rate and compares them to desired settings. In addition, it calculates average instantaneous and equilibrium/relaxed moduli.
    • Jason was not able to attend the meeting. He has not provided the background on patellofemoral joint testing.
  2. Continue evaluation of drafts for data manuscripts.
    • The group went over what to report in the manuscripts for kinematics of tibiofemoral and patellofemoral joints. Robb asked if Ahmet would like to have kinematics analyzed using Python. Omar Gad, and most recently Will, wrote some code for kinematics extraction from TDMS files. Ahmet noted that for reporting purposes Robb can utilize his code as Python scripts should incorporate reading of configuration files to analyze and represent transformations between coordinate systems. It is likely that Python script will replace the analysis in future, which will allow automation of processing kinematics/kinetics for modeling.
    • The team discussed figures for patellofemoral joint testing manuscript in more detail. Robb's figure list with tentative captions seems appropriate.
    • Ahmet also emphasized that the team should utilize phrases carefully, e.g. "laxity", "passive flexion". Both for laxity and passive flexion data, off-axis loads should be minimum and should be reported. This can allow deciding a minimum off-axis load threshold to call a test “passive flexion”.
    • The group also went over the need to clearly describe coordinate systems to allow comparisons with literature.
    • Ahmet reminded the authors that all narrative text for the manuscripts, including tentative figure and table captions, are due April 1, 2016. Figures can be prepared afterwards.
  3. Decide immediate action items for the next meeting.
    • See Immediate Action Items above.
  4. Other.
    • Snehal wanted to schedule testing of oks010. Callan and Robb are not available during the week of April 18, 2016. The BioRobotics Core will be conducting tests with Jason and Will on May 21, 2016. Snehal will check scheduling of the MRI for April 5, 12, or 26.

RecurringMeetings/2016-03-01 (last edited 2016-05-04 22:09:48 by localhost)