Running simulations on a virtual machine on Mac OS

Provide easy-to-use, extensible software for modeling, simulating, controlling, and analyzing the neuromusculoskeletal system.
Lode Bosmans

Running simulations on a virtual machine on Mac OS

Post by Lode Bosmans » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:40 am

Hello,

a student of mine is using a Mac OS with a virtual machine (Windows XP). She installed a Windows version of OpenSim on the virtual XP. It works fine, but there is one problem.
When simulations (IK,..) are done, the model does not visualise the movement in the viewer when there is no interaction with the viewer. During the simulation, the model doesn't move. So everything is calculated, but if you don't rotate/translate your model in the viewer by moving your mouse, there will be no movement of the model. If you would place your mousepointer in the viewer and you start translating the model, then it will move. But you need to keep doing that.. once you stop, the model doesn't move anymore.

Is there an explanation for this? Because it is quite hard to check the quality of an IK, if you can't take a good look at the marker(position)s.

Thanks in advance for the reply!
Lode

Jesse Garnier

Re: Running simulations on a virtual machine on Mac OS

Post by Jesse Garnier » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:30 pm

What Mac hardware are you using, which version of Mac OS X, and which virtualization environment are you using to run XP?

Thanks!
Jesse Garnier
Senior Web Developer
Simbios, Stanford University
https://simtk.org

Ayman Habib

Post by Ayman Habib » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:54 pm

Hi Lode,

It would be hard to reproduce this in my environment to debug, but I suspect the issue has to do with a window "repaint" event on the graphics window that doesn't get triggered in the VM environment while you can manually force it to trigger by moving the mouse inside the window. Are there any settings on the VM to control how often to refresh the display? Also there's a user preference "Refresh Rate" that can control how often to redraw the geometry, try to see if you can change it to get the display to update correctly and let me know how that goes.

-Ayman

Lode Bosmans

Post by Lode Bosmans » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:41 pm

Hello,

this is the information of the laptop.

Hardware: i5 2.3ghz 4 gb ram
Version of mac os x: snow leopard 10.6.
Virtualization environment: VmWare Fusion 3.0

The technician, who installed the virtual machine, said that there are no settings for the refresh rate of the display that can be changed. So that is probably not the answer to the problem.

Kind regards,
Lode